Dec 19, 2011

Movie Mondays!

Sobering. This American adaptation of the foreign Brodre is a strong film that touches on issues like estrangement, alienation and trust. Could well be on a double feature with The Hurt Locker, this film deals with the fallout of a soldier thought killed on tour of duty. It has a solid cast with Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal, Natalie Portman, Sam Shepard and Mare Winningham who are all on their game. The film actually raises larger issues in the sense we are at a point of dealing with a generation of service personnel who have served in combat and will be returning home, this film and Hurt Locker may be the beginning of a wave of American films focusing on the issues surrounding those returning veterans just as American cinema has done with each conflict the US has been involved with since WWII. Brothers is a stellar entry in the genre.

I’m repurposing content by taking my NetFlix reviews and posting them here on the blog. If I could figure out a way to do it, I’d post some kind of link for people to connect and make me their friend on the service. Unfortunately, it isn’t altogether clear how one would do that - so if you know a way, pass it along. In the meantime, I’ve got steady content for at least a year.

No comments: